Still cutting the ends off that roast?
Many folks know this story...
A child observes a parent preparing a roast for a family meal, and asks why they cut a piece from each end of the roast before putting it in the pan. "I don't know, I've always done it this way. Ask your grandmother," is the answer.
Grandmother says, "We've just always done it that way. I learned it from your great grandmother, let's ask her." The child finds Great Grandmother. "Great Grandmother, why is it so important to cut the ends off the roast before it goes in the pan?"
"Darling," she says, "it's the only way I could fit it in my little pan all those years ago!"
Is this an amusing story about cooking? Perhaps. It is also an excellent example to explain why we as well-intentioned professionals and business owners find ourselves stuck in a performance rut. Why, it's because we're doing things the way we've always done them. Sometimes the greatest wisdom can come from the most unexpected perspectives. One needs only to look.
You don't have to cut the ends off your roast. You don't even need to have a roast in the first place! Sometimes the best way to get un-stuck is to view business-related challenges with a fresh perspective. In many cases we are working around systems and processes instead of making them work for us. Sometimes even the smallest adjustments can make the biggest differences!
How can I help?
I am much more than your average HR/Operations professional! I possess more than 7 years of management-level experience in the Human Resources and General Operations disciplines, with notable and proven successes in the areas of recruitment & talent management; employee learning & development; policy development and enforcement; OSHA and HIPAA training and compliance; human and public relations; general operations management, major project planning, marketing, and social media management.
I enjoy working with teams and projects that require multitasking, smart use of technology, quick thinking but thoughtful actions, passion, uncompromising quality, and a really, really good sense of humor.
Let's talk about that roast. Contact me anytime to set up a free, no-obligation information session.
Field-Tested Areas of Expertise:
Leveraging Human Capital.
Humans are our customers, they drive traffic into (and out of) our doors, and in many cases people perform the bulk of the most difficult work.Have you found yourself asking these questions? I can help you answer them and address your human-related challenges:
- How do I know I have the right people doing the right jobs?
- How do I motivate my team to embrace accountability and take real ownership and pride in their work and the company's culture? How can I create a team-based environment?
- How do I encourage performance and address performance and behavioral issues with my staff?
- How can I make sure my team has the tools they need to provide the best possible service?
Marketing & Managing Your Brand.
When you accidentally take a call from a company selling internet ads and SEO services, do your eyes start to water and you wish you were in your happy place? Don't just throw marketing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks - approaching it with a plan and a budget can be reasonable and possible. Here are a few other questions that are common to business owners:
- How do I achieve brand continuity across advertising and marketing platforms such as my website, social media outlets, and internet ads on search engines like Google?
- What the heck is SEO, anyway?
- How can I tell what my customers want and how I can encourage them to interact with my brand?
- How can I use my internet presence and create good content to increase awareness and trust in my brand and my product(s)?
- How should I set a marketing and advertising budget, and how can I measure my ROI?